Monday, May 20, 2013
Ten Ways to Insult Someone without Using Profanity
By OFW editor:
Published: August 05, 2013
Yes, I can totally do this. I can. I choose to use profanity most of the time because it’s colorful. Nothing livens up a sentence more than a well-placed fuck. However, sometimes the situation calls for less brass and more tact, or you’ve overdone it, and you need to find a way to insult someone without an f-bomb. Perhaps you’ve written a character who doesn’t swear, or maybe you write YA fiction and you have to put a cap on the swearing. So here are a few insults that strike below the belt with good effecty, but without the extra color.
1. You are dumber than a box of hair
Or a sack of hammers, a heap of dirt…the list goes on. This one has so many variations, you can make your own so it’s not so cliché.
2. Funny, I can hear the wheel spinning, but I think the hamster's dead.
I heard a kid say this at a school assembly. It took everything in me not to high-five him.
3. You’re all foam, and no beer, aren’t you?
An oldie, but still useful.
4. The cheese must have slid off your cracker.
You put crackers and cheese together and you know you’ve got gold.
5. You’re useless as tits on a board.
My dad’s favorite line. Tits is technically not a profanity, but if it’s too close to that imaginary line for you, consider replacing it with nipples. My dad’s used that one too.
6. I must say, you’ve got an intellect rivalled only by rocks.
This is an awesome insult to throw at someone who loves to puff themselves up or make others feel small in comparison to their imagined awesomeness. The look on their face when this is tossed out is priceless.
7. His belt doesn’t go through all the loops.
A nice change to the old “a few _____ short of a ____” which is rather overused no matter what you put in the blanks.
8. I’m looking at proof that evolution
go in reverse
The perfect insult to a bad pickup line.
9. I hope you’re part of an experiment in artificial stupidity.
Got a nerd-type that needs to take someone down a notch? Here you go.
10. Follow the Yellow Brick Road. Seems the Wizard’s forgotten your brain.
to leave a comment, or Login using
No Comment Found.
Fact or Fiction?
Quote of the Day
The Craft of Writing
Terms of the Trade
Terms of Service
Work with Us
Copyright © 2011 OFW. All Rights Reserved.